Wednesday 14 March 2012

YouTube is the new TV. Keep Calm people.



Yesterday I posted some comments about YouTube and the future of television ("YouTube, mashable, the death of TV and Henry Ford's horse") which prompted some discussion amongst my fellow Ad Agency colleagues. Serious stuff!


(And I should say thanks for them. Honestly I'm very grateful. And to you who read this. Thank you.)


Anyway, what I got was that YouTube could never be TV because it was a place where you only got "Candid camera videos" and "mad crazy stupid people" and that I should "know better". After all, they go on, "content is king" and other cliches. 


So I think that's wrong. Completely wrong. And I'd like to try to prove it if I could.


Here is a poster at the top of the page which you all know well. From a design perspective, beautiful typography and an enchanting message. Especially to those who really ranted against YouTube.


Here is a YouTube video. Actually forget I said that. Think of it as more a programme from the new TV channel in the "history" section. Yeah, Like 'Sky Discovery' (funny too, isn't Sky a collection of niche channels itself? Just sayin'). Imagine you're watching 'The Discovery Channel'. 




See? When did you last see something like this on TV?
YouTube can be interesting, magic, brilliant, amazing, and as it develops it will be. Content is king + content gets better. Might I say live streaming will add a lot to it. YouTube just announced they will allow not-for-profits to stream live for free. So they do some good too!


Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment