Monday 18 March 2013

Turning buildings green. A classic piece of marketing for St. Patricks Day.

Accuse me of being biased but I do think the concept behind turning international, iconic buildings green, for St. Patrick's day, is a classic. Just as an idea, forgetting is has anything to do with Ireland.

But green is the Irish colour and internationally recognised as such - so a building lit up in green, means Ireland.

Sydney Opera House, The Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai, The Empire state Building (which I actually painted as a teenager, honest guv), The London Eye, Sphinx, Christ the Redeemer statute in Rio, Pyramids....all went green for Patrick's Day. A pretty impressive ad. And that great Irish city Chicago, where I once worked, as usual, turned The Chicago River green.




I have to say, I thought it was a stunning idea as well as all the Government Buildings turning green. At the launch of the idea, Streamabout interviewed Minister Varadkar who said the cost was 36,000 euro in total. That represents pretty good value then.

A lovely idea that actually happened. And yet again, simplistic thinking wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment